Sales View All Departments
Hours & Contact Information
Sales: (651) 490-6600
3360 Hwy 61 N, St. Paul, MN 55110
Almost every driver has been in this situation: You’re stopped at a red light on a steep incline. The light turns green, and you have to move your foot from the brake pedal to the gas pedal to get going. You’re hoping that you can do it quickly enough.
You hope that while you’re doing that, your car doesn’t roll back and hit the car behind you. That’s where hill start assist comes in. It prevents your car from unintentionally rolling backwards or forwards when you’re stopped on an incline or decline. So, how does this feature work? Here’s everything you should know about it:
How It Works
Sensors in your car detect when it’s on an incline or decline. Then, hill start assist automatically kicks in. It maintains your brake pressure while you move your foot from the break pedal to the gas pedal. Once you press down on the accelerator, it releases the brakes. If your car has a manual transmission, this feature will maintain your brake pressure until you let up on the clutch.
How to Use It
- Come to a complete stop on an incline or decline, just like you’d fully stop at a red light.
- Hold down on the brake pedal while you’re stopped.
- Hill start assist will hold the brake for you while you move your foot to the gas pedal to start driving again.
Tips and Tricks
- Some cars have hill start control or hill holder, which are the same as hill start assist.
- Hill start assist does not manage your car’s speed when you’re going up a hill.
- This feature does not increase your traction, it just prevents you from rolling backwards or forwards.
- Make sure you’re aware of your surroundings at all times when you’re stopped on an incline or decline.
Cars With Hill Start Assist In St. Paul, MN
Come and test drive some vehicles with hill start assist at Buerkle Honda in St. Paul, MN! This handy feature is standard on every 2021 Honda model. Whether you’re in the market for a car, truck, SUV or minivan, we have it all. Our great sales team will tell you everything there is to know about any of our vehicles. And, our finance team will answer any questions you have about financing or leasing a Honda through us. When you purchase or lease any vehicle from a Buerkle dealership, you’ll earn valuable rewards through our Buerkle Rewards+ program. Our dealership is located near Minneapolis, Inver Grove, and Blaine. We look forward to seeing you!